Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Applique tray cloth…..

At the moment I have been bitten by the applique' bug and unintentionally also, I end up doing applique.

It so happened that I was trying to practice raw edge appliqueing with my sewing machine.  I cut out a circle to begin with,   brought down the stitch size to the smallest in my machine, and started sewing the circle leaving a quarter inch on the outer side of my circle.  I just wanted to check out how it looks…..   After cutting away the extra quarter inch.  The circle looked pretty decent.  Then an idea struck and I attached a handle and a spout to the circle, and it looked great but  tilted on my background fabric, which was again a scrap.

But I din’t want to waste that teapot, so I cut out the teapot along with my background and thought of appliqueing it to some decent fabric and make it into a tray cloth.  I added to the look by hand quilting some stitches  as you will see here……..

DSCN5920

I have used blanket stitches to applique the teapot onto this linen fabric, and have also used batting to give it some thickness.  The binding fabric is a semi cotton polka dots.  I also added a button for the lid.  My dear friend Nima   got me some lovely buttons from India.   As and when I use you will see them.     I was very happy with the finish and more happy that I could practice binding on this small tray cloth, since its been long I did binding on anything and I need to become perfect in it before I take up a big project.

Here’s one more close up of my finish…..

DSCN5921

Thank you for all your lovely comments and advices , please continue  giving them. Till the next post, its Bye from me.

6 comments:

  1. wow...that came out really beautiful....i love the hand quilting...i can't wait to see it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! it has come out very well preetha.. and you got the ideal fabric for the tea pot..congrats!!!i too have done a similar one but very amateurish.u can see it among my older posts in the blog..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! it has come out very well preetha.. and you got the ideal fabric for the tea pot..congrats!!!i too have done a similar one but very amateurish.u can see it among my older posts in the blog..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! This one is SO pretty!! I love how it titls over and steam coming out of it, how clever!

    ReplyDelete

Friends,
Your friendly comments and suggestions are my motivations. Please keep posting them, Thank you.